Wednesday, September 1, 2010

For the persistent bargain hunters in all of us

Like most people, I love when things go on sale. My habit of buying things on sale has gotten so bad that now I rarely pay full price for clothing and accessories. The only time I really "splurge" (and by "splurge" I mean buying stuff that are NOT on sale) is on coats, jackets, and purses. Sounds pathetic? Sure, maybe I am crazy. But bargain hunting is so much fun (yes, I said it).

Over my shopoholic years, I have discovered stores that offer amazing fashion at unbelieable prices and places that has current styles for a lot less than designer ones.

My favorite bargain hunting paradises: T.J. Maxx, Marshall's, Neiman Marcus Last Call, Off Saks, Loehmann's, The Rack by Nordstrom, DSW, Bluefly.com, and the Outnet.

T.J. Maxx is on the top of my list because I have one right outside where I live and there is another one very close to my school. Funny thing: the one that's close to my school used to get shipments from Wynn Las Vegas and Bloomingdale's. So the place was filled with designer stuff up to its neck. I found Marc Jacobs cashmere sweaters from the previous year's runway (retailed at $4000) for $300. They were thick cashmere blend with a silk overlay. I bought two - one black and one silver. Sadly, I do not have pictures of them. But they will sure surface here in the future since they are just beyond fierce. I also found DVF dresses for $100, and several Badgeley Mischka dresses for $100 each. All of these babies were retailed at about $400. Sweeet.

Marshall's is equally awesome. But the thing with these discount stores is that you really have to be patient and dig in. The store location also determines what kind of shipments they get and how fast things go. I got lucky with the San Antonio store next to my school, but the awesome selection is long gone. Although it still has nice things from Bloomindale's and other similar department stores, it no longer carries any leftover couture stuff from Wynn. Another caveat would be that discount stores' types of goods varies from time to time. You may find awesome DVF dresses and Matty M tees everywhere one time, and only crappy fashion wannabe items the next time.

Loehmann's has crazy sales sometimes. I do not frequent the store but I check it out whenever I am in the area. Loehmann's carries some designer dresses and other nice stuff in a section called "the Back Room." You can expect to find Marc by Marc Jacobs and Nicole Miller Collection among other brands.

Neiman Marcus Last Call, Off Saks, and the Rack are the discount stores for their respective department stores. Last Call is often located in outlet malls while you can find Off Saks and the Rack almost anywhere. They basically sell whatever was left of their final sales from the regular deparment stores. They are more organized in comparison to TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Loehmann's, and you can find crazy sales on top of their already discounted prices.

DSW is for shoes. You won't find Louboutins here, but they have average priced designer shoes at a discounted price.

Bluefly.com and the Outnet are online discount retailers. Bluefly.com is a personal favorite. It carries all name brands clothing and accessories, but not crazy expensive. The Outnet, on the other hand, is the discount retailer for Net-a-porter.com. So expect it to carry all the world's leading designers. Couture, couture, couture!

Here are some of my recent finds:

Elie Tahari blazer. Retail for $448. I found a similar version at T.J. Maxx for $23.
Acrobat sweater. Retail at $92. Bluefly: $55. I found this baby at Loehmann's for $10. Haha.
Theory Ganesa Blouse as seen on Kate Hudson. Retail: $200. How much I paid? $20. From TJ Maxx again.

No comments:

Post a Comment