Wednesday, August 11, 2010

DIY Fashion

Last year, I found this cute cardigan by Splendid. The fabric is light enough for a chilly summer night. But my clumsy self burned a hole on the bottom front of the shirt just a few days after bringing it home. I still wore the cardigan from time to time, but always trying to drape it so the hole will not be visible.
Yesterday, I went to Hobby Lobby, determined to find something that can help me to "fix" the hole and "beautify" it. I tried to find some type of a "iron-on" thing that would be a quick fix but to no avail. Unexpectedly, I found what might just work while strolling past the crochet section - felt!
Okay, I was desperate and could not wait to get out of the store. I grabbed a bag of felt-flowers with cute beads sewn on.
I used two flowers to cover up the hole and another flower on the other side of the shirt to "balance" my artwork.
Voila!
I also stopped by Famous Footwear on my way home and checked out their sale section. It is not a store that I frequent (only been there 3 times my whole life), but I had to buy socks for my little brother. And look what I found:

Sweet boots! They are part cowgirl and part rock-n-roll. I remember mentioning that I don't like anything rock-n-roll inspired. But they look really fun and maybe I can make this work. I will post pictures of complete outfits with these babies later. Oh how exciting!

I realized my new adventurous side when I first started shopping at Urban Outfitters. Two years ago, I could not pick anything out from that store. Not even if it was a giveaway! They store simply did not have anything that fitted my style.

But now while I retained my love for the classic style, I also wondered outside of my comfort zone because dressing is fun and being able to make different pieces of attire work is a beautiful skill that needs to be honed. Urban outfitters became a personal favorite, and I started to be able find something I like from almost any store. My new found bravery is fully evident in these cool boots that I just purchased.

Did I mention they were $10?

Haha, they were on sale from $100 to $10. So I guess my "bravery" is conditional. Only if the weird new item is cheap enough for me to take the risk. Otherwise, it would be more like "$100? Um. No, thanks! I'd rather save that money and get myself another pair of riding boots for the fall."

No comments:

Post a Comment